EMI and RFI Shielding
Wire Mesh is widely used to protect key equipment from ‘Radio Frequency Interference’ (RFI) and/ or ‘Electromagnetic Interference’ (EMI). The earliest example of this would be a ‘Faraday Cage’.
The military use wire mesh to protect battlefield tactic systems, communication systems, hand held computers and to secure laptops.
In industry copper or stainless steel wire mesh is used to protect test chambers, computer rooms or indeed recording rooms.
Wire mesh is also used in many public information displays such as airport display boards as well as rail and bus terminals.
Other applications include telecommunications, test measurement equipment, navigation, medical and radar applications.
Key benefits of using wiremesh for RFI & EMI applications
- Can be easily sculpted or molded to suit application
- Can assist avoiding the ‘Corona Effect’ (air around component becoming conductive)
- Excellent fire and corrosion resistance
- Available in numerous metals, Copper, Stainless Steel, Monel and Aluminium to name but a few
- An almost infinite number of specifications and open areas are possible.
See also Mobile Phone Signal Blocking.